These days, I’m picking up a lot of my groceries from farmers’ markets and organic shops. But sometimes, it’s nice to be able to stock up on vegan convenience food from the supermarket, and have ridiculous things for dinner like sausages & chips and hokey pokey icecream.
Here are some things I bought from Foodtown in Newmarket last week:
- Select Sea Salt Cashew, Macadamia and Blanched Almond Mix. Most of the Woolworths “Select” range of nuts are vegan, some are coated in additives. Some have names that make them sound fancier than strictly necessary (Sea Salt Nut Medley?), but all of them I’ve tried have been pretty good.
- Nature’s Path Optimum bars are in the organic section at a lot of supermarkets. The ingredients list of the Blueberry Flax & Soy bar is ridiculously long, but everything listed is vegan (and organic). They’re a tasty snack.
- Olive Grove Falafel mix is premixed falafel, which you just spoon into hot oil and fry. Easy and yum.
- Lite Licks Dairy Free Hokey Pokey icecream! (Non-New Zealanders, see Wikipedia on hokey pokey icecream).
- Kopi is a Malaysian restaurant in Wellington. They also make pre-prepared meals, and the Nasi Goreng is vegan! Perfect lazy meal.
- Sweet William White Delight bar. I’ve talked about Sweet William white cooking buttons before – this is the chocolate bar version. I’ve seen these in a couple of supermarkets now.
- Bean Supreme makes tofu, sausages and burger patties. I like their Sundried Tomato & Kalamata Olive Vegetarian Sausages because they’re not really designed to taste like meat sausages, they’re just flavourful and interesting. The Rosemary, Sage & Parsley ones are also good. They also make a non-vegan kind that contains parmesan.