It’s been a long time since I’ve posted here, but Auckland has been treating this vegan really well – there have been all kinds of things to eat and do. I have a big list of things I’ve been meaning to post – this is number 1 in a series of catchup posts.
2. The Little Grocer is a sweet little deli, coffee takeaway joint and grocery store just down the road from Harvest Wholefoods in Grey Lynn, at 311 Richmond Road. They have a range of delicious vegan baked things, slices of sesame baked tofu and salads in the cabinet and excellent coffee.
3. One of the things The Little Grocer stocks is Hakanoa Handmade Ginger Beer – local real fresh ginger beer, just like my little brother used to make, brewed in the bottle. There are two flavours: the regular kind and chilli lime. They’re also often at Britomart Farmers’ Market on Saturdays, and you can like them on Facebook.
4. Jai Jalaram Khaman is a vegetarian Indian restaurant and takeaway in Sandringham. I had dinner there a while ago with Kat after checking out a couple of Indian grocery shops in the area. They were really understanding about veganism & explained all the things on the menu that I could eat – I went with some puri and a big vegan thali. The internet says that there’s another Jai Jalaram Khaman in Blockhouse Bay.
5. Malinee Thai Takeaways in Point Chev has become Malinee Vegetarian Thai Food – all fresh flavoured Thai food, all vegetarian, made with fake meats. The “meats” are a different style to many of the Chinese ones I’ve eaten – more like dense flavoured tofu and less meat-realist. I’ve only had food from here once since it switched to its all-vegetarian menu, but am excited to go again.
6. Cosset is a new café in Mt Albert which has an all-vegan kitchen, and a cute collection of vintage furniture and bits & pieces. They’re open for breakfast and lunch, they bake lots of delicious treats, and they use Kokako organic coffee beans. I recommend the hotcakes for breakfast.