Speaking of delicious things to spread on toast, Auckland-based Poppy & Olive makes a fine range of nut butters, which are all vegan: chocolate hazelnut butter, coconut, almond, ABC (almond, brazil & cashew) and chocolate almond butter.
I picked up a jar of Chocolate Hazelnut Butter from Parnell Farmers’ Market last weekend. It’s lovely: like a grownup, healthy version of Nutella. The spread is 80% hazelnuts, and it has the lightly crunchy, ground texture of a nut butter. The other 20% is New Zealand-made dark chocolate.
Poppy & Olive nut butters are available from farmers’ markets: they alternate between Howick Village, Grey Lynn and Parnell Farmers’ Markets – check the schedule on their website for details of where to find them.
Their nut butters are also stocked at Farro Fresh (in Grey Lynn, Mt Wellington and Mairangi Bay), IE Produce (in Takapuna), Huckleberry Farms (in Royal Oak and Glen Innes), Mondays Wholefoods (in Kingsland), Bulk Food Savings (in Mount Eden) and Spencer’s Antiques and Collectables (in Beachlands).